Tuesday, April 16, 2013

play-dough adventure (with recipe!)



  I’ve had my friend Cathy’s play-dough recipe on my fridge since she posted it on facebook when I was pregnant.  

  Then I had a baby and forgot all about it until another friend asked me the other day if I knew a decent play-dough recipe.  Since then I’ve been waiting for a good time to try it out. 

  Or more specifically, I was waiting until Evening got bored.  Bored toddlers tend to be rather  cranky.

  Today was that day.  I retrieved the recipe from the fridge and dove in.  

  Cathy’s Favourite Play-Dough Recipe


1 cup white flour
½ cup salt
2 tbsp cream of tartar (Wha???  It’s in the spice aisle)
1 tbsp oil
1 cup water
Food colouring

  Mix the first four ingredients in a pan, and then add the water.  Mix well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes.

  Dough will become hard to stir and start to form a clump. 


it sure will


  Remove from stove and knead for 5 minutes.  This is the time to add your food colouring.  I found it easiest to form a ‘bowl’ and drip in the colouring.  For our play-dough, I separated the batch into four quarters and kneaded them all separately.
\

making a bowl for the food colouring


  Will keep for a long time in a sealed container. 

   Then I set out the play-dough on our scratchy old play table and waited for Evening to investigate.  

  She poked at the strange balls, recoiling sharply as her little finger dented them.  A crease appeared on her brow and she reached out a hand again, cautiously, gingerly touching them.  She looked up at me curiously and bravely tried to pick up a ball of yellow play-dough.  


  Now that she had determined these strange soft balls to be safe, I joined her in making different shapes and whatnots.  Most of which she immediately grabbed to investigate and a growing mound of my broken creations piled up on her side of the table.  

  The mystical pull of the play-dough soon pulled her daddy in too.  It was then a play-dough family event as we re-discovered the fun of play-dough and showed her our mad skills and advanced tricks, like making spaghetti, cups, and tubes.   


  Evening was less than impressed, and decided it was far more fun to drop the play-dough on the ground and laugh at the ‘thunking’ noise it made.  

   (I tried it, and she was right – it was more fun!)

  Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

4 comments:

  1. OHHH THank you Thank you for posting this!!! With the kids play area being under water I am definitely looking for some fun projects to do tomorrow and this one is PERFECT!!!! They will love it! I think I may actually have cream of tarter?!?!? Hmmm...gotta check...I hope you have a lovely weekend friend! Thanks for the support...means a lot! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hooray for small things! Sounds like your kids are going to look back on the "flood of 2013" as an adventure with the way you are handling it! Thinking of you,
      Jenn and Evening

      Delete
  2. Great colours! I think I'll have to do that for Nathan the next time we go to the lake. But it kind of looks like sugar cookie dough, might have to make that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, that explains the sugar cookie recipe printed on the box of 'cream of tartar' :)

      Delete

embedded below post